Thursday, December 17, 2009

When do mature topics turn obscene?

It has become very apparent that literature, especially for teens, has shifted to illustrating more adult content. Issues that were always hidden like suicide and homosexuality are now being written about more frequently.

But when does the literature change from describing a characters point of view and journey in life to something obscene?

In some ways, I believe literature changes to something obscene when characters are not used as teaching tools, but as stereotype. When the character is only 2 dimensional, there is nothing to be learned. Characters are supposed to show us about human nature. We are supposed to be reading about a person, not just a cheerleader who is loose with her morals. We need to know why are the characters doing the things they are.


I think the question we have to ask is if we were to take out that scene or image, would we lose the purpose of the book? Some novels go beyond to explain things that are not relevant to the character or story. Does the integrity of the book lie in something that a difficult subject or are those areas placed in the book for entertainment?

Everyone has their own level of tolerance. We need to examine the worth of literature for ourselves and then make a decision. I was recently reading a book that address some really harsh and jarring topics. I know that while I might have found this novel difficult morally, it would not have affected a friend of mine as harshly. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is offense. We should let others choose their own level.

0 comments:

Post a Comment