As I strolled through the young adult aisle at Barnes and Noble or searched online for some new books to read, I found that most of the books nowadays are about vampires. The close second in subject is werewolves, but that is another post.
I actually wondered how many were there. I typed in the words teen and vampire in the Barnes and Noble online search bar. I was surprised at how many entries there were. 783! Now, I know that some of those can be the same book but in hardback or softback. That is understandable. But still, why do writers, let alone publishers, feel the need to keep producing this kind of novel?Here are my ideas.
The main reason is that vampires sell. It is what the masses are screaming for so the book publishers provide.
Here are some reasons why it would sell:
Vampires=Sexy
Have you noticed that most vampires in these novels are beautiful? They have perfect forms and features, making them so appealing. One notable beginning to the transformation from horrifying to sexy is the book Interview With A Vampire by Ann Rice. This novel helped to change the vampire image from a creature of darkness to a person with a tortured being. Sucking blood turned from a image of death to a symbolic form of sex. It is one of the elements that teens love, an attractive, sexy figure.
Vampires=Different
How many kids have grown up hearing vampire stories? We all heard Cinderella and Snow White. We know all the Disney movies by heart. We never heard about vampires because they are supposed to be scary. There is the occasional vampire costume on Halloween, but that is about as close as it gets. I think the only images of a vampire I knew was Bunnicula, which is a vampire bunny that drains the juice from carrots and Count Von Count, Sesame Street's friendly counting vampire. Teens are growing to where they can read books that their parents did not choose from them. They want to read something that is different from what they have read before, something that is different from them, yet still appealing to their age group.
Vampires=Thrilling
These books provide an unrealistic image of action. The images written are no so disturbing to stop a reader, but they curb the reader's appetite for a thrill. The reader knows that it cannot happen (though some may dream) and so the action is not disturbing but exciting.
All of these have led to the overwhelming obsession of the vampire novel which has book publishers pushing them out in large numbers for today's readers.


Post a Comment